David Scott Bisonette, Director      

Program Description

The Enrollment Department is responsible for maintaining records and information for Lac Courte Oreilles tribal members and descendants. The Enrollment Department performs a variety of tasks including: keeping current information for members including updated addresses and name changes, assisting with processing applications for enrollment (including DNA testing, confirmation of genealogy and other non-LCO Native blood degrees), assisting the Enrollment Committee in making enrollment recommendations, issuing tribal identification cards and/or certificates of enrollment or descent, maintaining genealogical information, maintaining historical and contemporary data and statistics regarding tribal member demographics, assisting tribal and other entities with information regarding tribal membership, assisting with elections and voters, relinquishments, eligibility for various programs, and other tribal benefits including annual and special payments.

Program Eligibility

Any Lac Courte Oreilles tribal member or decendant of a Lac Courte Oreilles tribal member.

Application Process

In order to apply for membership with the Lac Courte Oreilles Band, applicants are required (at a minimum) to complete and submit each of the following:

  1. The Enrollment Application( download ⤓ pdf ) (making sure to provide all the requested information including signing and dating the application);
  2. The Family Tree ( download ⤓ pdf )
  3. pay the $3.00 application fee (by cash or money order made out to the Lac Courte Oreilles Tribal Government);
  4. include a certified copy of live birth (birth certificate). The birth certificate cannot be a photocopy as the Enrollment Committee (that reviews the applications) will not accept such documentation. A copy of the birth certificate can generally be found at the county courthouse where an individual was born.

Send the fee and documents to:
Enrollment Department
Lac Courte Oreilles Tribal Government
13394 W Trepania Road
Hayward, WI 54843

Other Requirements

If the current name is different than the birth name on the certificate, applicant should provide legal documentation to establish the name change. Such documentation may include a marriage certificate, divorce order, Social Security Card, legal court order name change, etc. These documents should be original/certified and not photocopies.

If the applicant is a minor, a parent may sign the application. Any parent signing an application must be listed on the birth certificate or must provide certified legal documentation establishing parentage (no photocopies).

If the applicant has a legal guardian, the guardian must provide certified legal documentation establishing the guardianship. The guardianship documents cannot be photocopies.

Note that the Enrollment Committee may require further documentation in order to establish or verify familial relationships.

Please use black ink when completing the application.

Applicants may submit a photocopy of a driver license, passport, or other valid identification card for verification of identity.

Certified legal documents can be returned upon written request by the applicant after the Enrollment Committee has reviewed the complete application and made a recommendation regarding eligibility for enrollment. A self-addressed stamped envelope can be submitted with the application for the return of documents.

If there are any further questions, please contact the Enrollment Department at (715) 634-8934.